Thursday 17 December 2009

The art of Monsters, Inc

More than a week ago I was starting to illustrate some blobby monsters that have real gappy, rotten-teethed grins. Little would I know that I would stumble across this little gem in my uni library when I was there to see a staff. This movie would undoubtedly be within my Top 5 Favourite Animations list, so much so that I actually went to JB Hi Fi the next day or so and got my hands on the DVD itself. Boo must be my most favourite Pixar character!! I would squeeze her to death if she was real and standing in front of me.

The book was just filled with so many developmental sketches of the main characters that looked waaaaaay different from the final outcome. Here's just a few of my favourite pages from the book.

painting whilst having the movie on

Concept art of Sulley & Mike's kitchen in pastel (1997 above, 1999 below), Dominique Louis


pastel on the left and marker on right, different medium creating diff feels


Progression of Boo's versions (above & below)

...the best version is obviously the last image.



No comments: