Sunday 7 November 2010

Soul Mama


I absolutely love soul and R'n'B. I love the rhythm, beat, mostly everything about it.

I realised many great songs from this genre are mostly, if not all, sung/ composed/ produced by talented African Americans. Haven't been listening much to it now since the songs nowadays are about girls wearing skimpy clothes and how much the guys wanna bed them. Long gone are the days when R'n'B lyrics were much more discreet and songs were about love. 

Now I'm loving classic songs from soul/ R'n'B singers like Babyface, Toni Braxton, Brian Mcknight, Tamia, Musiq Soulchild, Alicia Keys and the list goes on. Been listening to them for a few days already! 

Here's my illustration as a tribute to gifted R'n'B singers. Keep good songs coming!

2 comments:

Getafix said...

Very nice drawing, Mei!

My favourite "soul" singer is Sade. Check out songs such as "Your love is king", "No ordinary love", "Smooth Operator" on youtube.

Nina Simone is good too.

Ko.

mei ying tan said...

thanks ko! Sade??? I'll check that out. :D Enjoy ur holidays btw in penang. So envious!