Wednesday 29 June 2011

Beci Orpin's Lovely Pop-Up Shop

Over the past 2 weeks I had the opportunity to do a placement with my favourite Melbourne-based designer, Beci Orpin. Never would I have even dreamt that this would be possible, since I've always thought that independent designers probably don't accept work experience students anyway. I remember rockin' up to class one day and it turned out that she was the special guest speaker that my lecturer spoke about! Hearing how she first started to where she is today was absolutely inspiring. After the talk, somehow I secured a placement with her. I don't remember being as stoked as I was then in my entire university life haha, since she is, afterall, one of my design heroes :) I won't hide the fact that one day I'd like to be just as awesome as she is in design. 

First half of the week was spent at her home studio. Kinda surreal how I didn't get to just work with her, but to actually get to know her family and even her cats and....her son's goldfish. 

Second half of the week had us working at the studio/ shop of Harvest Textiles, as Beci is having a residence at their shop. Got to meet the Harvest Textiles bunch and also designers like Emily Green and Dawn Tan, who both work at a space within the shop itself. 

Beci's pop-up shop has been opened since last week. It looks really cute and it's definitely worth a visit. This week's opening hours are:

Monday 27 June - Sunday 3 July, 12- 4pm

The closing party will be this Sunday, 3 July 2011, 1- 4pm. So do pop by and say hello to her. She's so friendly! Not to mention everything she has in the shop is absolutely adorable.


Address is Harvest Textiles, 512 Lygon St, East Brunswick. There is eftpos/credit card facilities too. 

Some shots of the shop :)







 I love this embroidery!!

 Work space

Beci at work

The placement was really good and I enjoyed every bit of it. One thing that I miss now is.....


 .....her grey little kitty, Tio. On the last day of my placement he came up to me, snuggled on my lap and fell asleep there :( ....and he kept purring as I scratched him. Think he totally surrendered to my charms coz it had its neck extended and belly upwards...

Tio....my first cat-love :(  

No comments: